DIMENSIONS Autumn 1998


Q. How can I find health care professionals who specialize in working with people who have Alzheimer's disease or other types of dementia?

A. There are several sources that have information on health care professionals who work with people with dementia. A good place to start is to ask your own health care provider for a referral. Hospitals are also an excellent resource for referrals. Health maintenance organizations often have their own geriatric specialists.

A second good source on health care professionals related to AD is your local Alzheimer's Association, or the Alzheimer's Association National Chapter at 1-800-2723900 or http://www.alz.org. There is also the Alzheimer's Disease Education and Referral Center (ADEAR) at 301-495-3311 or http://www.alzheimers.org. Your local Area Agencies on Aging (AAA) can be found in your phone book under local government listings, or at http://www.aoa.dhhs.gov.

AD patients and families also need other kinds of special support services including home health care, home chore services, adult day care, case management, legal services, and overnight respite. The Alzheimer's Association, Area Agencies on Aging, and ADEAR can provide general information and assistance about these services. They can also provide listings of service providers and information about finding the right services for you. Other agencies, such as your state psychiatric or psychological association, bar association, and doctor referral services can also be of help.

Top of Page | Previous Story | Autumn 98 Index